Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The 'Duh' Vinci Code

Well, I finally went ahead and watched it. Yep, that's right. Now, I really dont like to write about something I didn't enjoy, but I had been waiting for this movie for so long, I must say it's a bit..awkward. Frankly speaking, nothing spectacular about the movie. Sure, it's a very faithful adaptation of the book. I first read it a couple of years ago. As it is with most books-turned-blockbusters, the film did not appeal to me as much as the book did. Although I have read much better fiction than Dan Brown's potboiler, it is an undeniable fact that the bestseller is a page turner in a most extreme way.

I first read a review somewhere about the movie before I watched it last weekend. As most critics would say, it was a so-so movie. So thats why I wont waste too much time in this post (I am still waiting to write about the fabulous 'Memento' after my second viewing). But before I end this post with yadayadayada, I want to point out what hollywood does in order to garner acclaim and blockbuster status. First, Ron Howard is a great director..I liked the guy's movies; And he has a good friend who is also a great actor..Hanks. So it may not be surprising when you see the next movie by Howard with Hanks in a leading role. But in the Da Vinci Code, Hanks is horribly miscast as Prof. Robert Langdon. Sure, he probably looks intelligent enough to pass for a professor in Symbology (snigger, snigger), but man does he look bored in the movie! Tom Hanks probably just did the movie out of pressure from his good friend Ron Howard, who in turn must have been under even more pressure from the production companies and more importantly, his prospective audience to cast a huge, bankable star! If you have read the book, Robert Langdon's character development has some minimal authenticity around it. The film chooses to ignore even that..character development is totally nil. Also, the other lead character in the book, Sophie Neveu is one of those tall, intelligent policewomen who doesnt take crap from anyone. Audrey Tatou is just...cute! She is dwarfed by Hanks' 5ft.11in. frame and I guess the decision of not making anything romantic between the two was a good choice afterall.

Well, to end it on a simpler note, The Da Vinci code is a watchable movie with nothing extraordinary about anything..the action (or whatever is missing of it), the performances, the special effects and if you know the story..then its just one of those Hardy Boys detective thrillers with a load of religious history thrown in for good measure. If you want a summer entertainer, I suggest watching probably MI-3!! (Horrors, but true).

Disappointing. Get ready for a good laugh in the most critical, serious moment in the film's running time! Unbelievable, isn't it?

2 comments:

Raj said...

Ya, the movie was okay. It was so dull that one can't say if its good or bad. But its no classic. Audrey was good in the movie as was Ian McKellen. And Tom Hanks bored me. But I think they managed the religious part well. They made it easy to understand for people like me who havent' read the book.

nik of my time said...

Raj, I agree..it definitely was an honest reproduction of the book itself, which made it easier to connect with.